Thursday 21 February 2013

Kalaripayattu

It is indeed a travesty that Kalaripayattu is not given the support it requires in India, unlike the other Asian countries wherein their flagship martial arts are given strong state support and is considered an inalienable part of their ethos. I started learning Kalaripayattu around a year and half back (yup, a late starter and reinforces my procrastinator status) and it has been a very fulfilling journey. Around 4-5 months back when I start undergoing some real serious personal issues, Kalaripayattu gave me the mooring I required. In that sense, I owe a serious debt to this art. In my future blogs, I will expounding on this. Like all martial arts, Kalari is a way of life and there are so many subtexts and layers to it, it is mind boggling. As you peel off the layers, you realize there is such a high spirituality content to it. No wonder, some of the exponents call it the "Warrior Yoga". Like all martial arts, it is finally victory over one self which is the final goal.One of the concepts that caught my eye is the concept of  'mei kannu' or "When the body becomes the eyes'. For all the Jedi fans, it is so prescient. But then one should not be surprised. After all George Lucas was influenced by Joseph Campbell who is in turn was very much influenced by the Asian narrative. I have been very lucky to get a great 'asan' or 'Guru' who has been magnaminious in sharing the secrets (and Kalari Asans are very secretive). Having said that, my body doth protest too much every day and that elusive 180 degree split is quite a distance away on my journey.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is what I saw in a show in Thekkaddy. This art form is much more beyond body and mind fitness regime..Also requires lot of courage..Keep it up

    ReplyDelete