Monday 25 February 2013

Google Glass and Jarvis

So the new Google Glass is being sneak previewed by the Chosen Ones. Funny, how the world has changed when one attains celebrity status just by being allowed to play with one of the tech toys. I saw the demo video (as you may guess, I am not the chosen one ..at least not yet) of Google Glass and I was blown away. Blown away not by the technology (I have seen the future and it is bright) but the way it changes the way we percieve the world around us. For the non-initiate , Google Glass is a voice activated networked spectacles which allows the user to navigate , download info and pretty much do a lot of things on the go. The HUD (Heads Up Display) from the fighter pilots has been bastardized and then improved to create this tech marvel. So now theoritically everybody can be Maverick with the track "You take my breath away" literally playing away through the earphones. Paradoxically , an increasingly networked environment is making socially inept populace where increasingly there is no need for real interactions. They are just being replaced by real-time interactions. As a species, we are discovering and inventing newer technologies but have we evolved to assimilate these technologies?
I remember those magazines that I read while growing up which promised the flying cars. I need my flying cars and I need it now (and sorry Terrafuggia , it is not really a flying car if you have to go to the airport to fly the damn car!!!!).  My point is, we seemed to build those great technologies which take us deeper into the virtual world ( some things like the Second Life end up in the Valhalla of the virtual world or whatever is the equivalent) but we never seem to get the replacement to the Internal Combustion Engine. And the ICE has been around for more than 100 years .Interesting isnt,it?
The way things are moving, Jeeves is quickly being replaced by Jarvis . Hard luck, old chap and all that balderdash!!!
As the Chinese curse goes "May you live in interesting times"

No comments:

Post a Comment